Friday, September 4, 2015

Aug. 24th, 2015 update

Elder Reed shared some photos and his family letter this week - :)
"Me after a preparation day in the mission (the elders in my zone played fĂștbol together: 5v5" :)

"Me, Elder Orosco (in the back 22 months, Ecuador), and Elder Jeria (16 months, Chile)" - a great looking group!
Elder Reed wanted to give a shout-out to all those who had a birthday this past week [there are lots of August birthdays!]. 

From Elder Reed's letter: "Today is the last day of transfers which is, again, incredible! What is super exciting is that this week something/someone really special will be coming to the Peru Lima East and North missions. I mention East first because (every missionary knows this) "my mission is the best mission in the whole-wide world!" I won't get too specific until it comes to pass so that I don't jinx the event into not happening.

I am also aware of school starting back up for you parents and school-aged people. I have only a few times I can say "good luck" because I am here in Peru continuing to learn, but teach as well! You can really surprise yourself about how much you know when you begin to teach! As well as learning from the people and their habits, there is also learning from the language standpoint. I remember 3 sister missionaries that served in the ward Los Sauces with me [and they] said that understanding and comprehending a new language begins with listening & understanding and later speaking & understanding. I don't think I would have made it through my first 4.5 months without them!

My spiritual thought this week comes from my experience this week with reading and praying about the Book of Mormon. We were meeting with a less than happy recent convert. She had been unhappy because she had stopped praying, stopped reading the Book of Mormon, and most importantly, she stopped praying about the Book of Mormon! [In the Doctrine & Covenants and the Book of Mormon,] it says that is we desire happiness, we should study the words of life; that if we desire the Spirit in our lives, we must study and pray and then will our tongue be loosened to the confounding of the wise (Doctrine & Covenants 11:21, Alma 37:6-7). That will bring the Spirit. That will make your life happier! That I promise you! Of these things I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  Until next week, Elder Reed"